Sunday, 12 October 2014

My experience with Facebook and Google+

I am not a very social person. I have just 170 friends on Facebook. I also published a post on How to Lose Friends and Estrange People on my blog. those who feel they have too many Friends on Facebook might have a looksee. Well, Friends on Facebook are not actually all friends. They are acquaintances, friends, family and co-workers. I have just 38 people in my circles and I think almost similar number of them are having me in theirs at Google+. 




Having introduced my lack of societal inclinations and connections let me further add: I have not been on these platforms for very long. I opened accounts on Twitter and Pinterest but for some reason or the other they did not really work for me. Now let me come to the point:


I feel I liked Facebook in the beginning and indeed there was no Google+ then--but I don't like Facebook as much as I did earlier. Now I like Google+ more. There are many reasons for this methinks and they are all subjective.

1. Ideas versus Faces:

I think Facebook is more about faces than ideas. Google+ is more about ideas than faces. I hardly find any Selfies or family-photos on Google+. It might well be because people prefer Facebook as a more personal platform than Google+. I often observe a lot of quotations, articles, informative videos and graffiti and active discussion groups on Google+ than I do on Facebook. Facebook is more like family-neighborhood gathering whereas Google+ is more like a discussion group or leisure club gathering you participate in. 

2. Friends versus Circles:

You have to send a request to a person on Facebook before you start sharing information with him or her. At Google+ you can simply add a person into your circles and start following him or her. Facebook also started offering a Follow button but it doesn't look as simple as Google+ circles do. It's really relatively very easy to befriend new people on Google+ than on Facebook. 

3. Advertisements Annoy:

The reality might bite some of us but social world is indeed a market-place. Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and other social networking sites serve for building potential customers for advertisers. However, because of the competition, there are some of the platforms which offer you services with less annoying advertisements. At Google+ I feel that I am not annoyed much by constant news trends, Apps and advertisements. No matter how many times you try to cancel out all of them on Facebook they persist. They are similar to those malwares on your system which stick and just don't accept getting lost. 


Facebook is old and Google+ is younger. Facebook is outdated and annoying and Google+ is entertaining and new. Still, you find most of your real-life(that might be a moot point: what is real?) acquaintances on Facebook yet--that might be because of its leverage. Google+ is catching up very fast though. Google+ is more interesting for those who want to share ideas than whereabouts. 

When I open Facebook and Google+ windows I see that Facebook has whopping 4 stripes on screen whereas Google+ has just 2. I love seeing a lot of space because too much informations jams my system up. Facebook is really too congested a platform right now with almost no space. It's like a crowded market-place. Google+ is like a trip to a foreign place or another state where you see many new ideas and find a fresh breeze of air. 

image source: here